Sunday, November 20, 2016

ART TAKES MANY FORMS--Nathaniel Barlam

Art is changing. As computers change our life, our art changes too. But Nathaniel Barlam has mixed old-fashion, hand-illustrated comics to create something entirely different. I stumbled on his videos quite by accident. We share a love for some of the same artists, and while viewing some vintage music on YouTube I saw Mr. Barlam's extraordinary mixed media works. 

Something about these videos soothes the soul. It isn't just the music, it is the artist's vision of the music. These artworks somehow transcend the mix of sound and drawings and allows the "viewer/hearer" a glimpse of fantasy. Thanks Nathaniel for giving us a look at your passion.

Mr. Barlam has a few other illustrated videos besides Guinnevere, check them out, FC



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUQZbSiafQ





My name is Nathaniel Barlam. I am from Marblehead, Massachusetts and studied Architecture at the Rhode Island School of Design. I now work as an Assistant Designer for Schuco USA, designing façade systems in NYC. Although my career is in the field of architecture, I’ve always drawn my inspiration from a variety of sources, especially music and sequential art. I’m an ardent fan of classic rock, with some of my favorite artists being The Beatles, The Band, The Who, CSNY, Van Morrison, Genesis and Joni Mitchell. The music made by these artists helped me get through some of the most difficult periods in my life, and so as a way of thanking them I began to make comics of their work in college. I feel naturally drawn to difficult work – my favorite author being James Joyce – and through illustration I was able to draw out a clearer comprehension of what each artist may have been feeling when they composed their enchanting songs, deepening my empathy as well as my understanding that I was not alone in my struggles.

As I continued to work on these personal projects for my own benefit, I came to realize the impact they could also have on others who were going through the same difficulties I was. Thus I decided to upload videos to my YouTube channel that synchronize my still images and text with the music and lyrics that inspired them, engaging as wide audience of listeners as possible.

Now, I see my illustrations as a form of translation and hope that through my art I can share with everyone music they may otherwise find “too difficult” to appreciate. Just as these songs helped me, my goal is to make them accessible to help others in need of the refuge of music.

Since graduating from RISD I have continued to make time for my work in the off-hours my job leaves me. Currently I am working on a new project, which will be my first one drawn completely digitally. It is my most audacious project yet, and I hope to finish it by the end of the year.

My videos can be found on my YouTube channel –



I also write an in-depth breakdown of each comic on my portfolio page –


No comments:

Post a Comment